Monday, October 17, 2005

Nebulizer Schmebulizer

Jaxson has been diagnosed with RSV, or bronchiolitis. Basically, he has asthma. I could go in depth more, but I don't feel like it. There's a link somewhere on here that you can go to and learn more about it, should you want. Pardon "Bitter Betty" here, but I'm a tad tired and pissed off. We've been asking the docs about Jax's NEVER-ENDING COUGH for months now (SIX, to be exact), and all we've ever been told is "nothing to worry about, just run the humidifier, blah, blah, blah). Now he's got asthma. Not that it's the doctor's fault *eyeroll*, but I'm just sayin'...

The solution to this problem is to use a Nebulizer, which blasts albuterol through an oxygen mask attached to Jax's face for about 20 minutes. Every four hours. I don't really think it's that big a deal, though it is a bit psychologically crippling to see your 6 month old wearing an oxygen mask. Shawn obviously hates it -- he cringes every time I pull the thing out. Naturally, he is worried about Jax's health, but let's be honest -- there is a little concern about Jax playing sports in the future. I can't tell you how many times he asked the doctor "does this mean he'll be an asthmatic for life"? (read: will he be able to play sports when he gets bigger? What about sports? Will he be able to play sports? He'll be able to play sports, right?) BTW, it's impossible to know for sure, but RSV does mean he has a better chance of developing asthma later on. Ryan is totally taking her cues from Shawn. At the doctor's office, she even demanded that the nurse "take that thing off my BROTHER!!". (VERY FUNNY -- I had to laugh to keep from crying). I've been trying to explain it to her, telling her that it's just a way for Jax to get his meds so that his cough will go away. I think she's coming around a bit -- this evening, she asked to hold it on his face. Either that, or I've raised a truly sadistic child. Let's go for Door #1.

I'm trying to be the cup-half-full gal. I just know this will be a mere sound-bite in his "True Hollywood Story: The Life of a 3-Sport Hall of Famer" (did I say cup-half-full, or cup-overflowing??).

1 comment:

Amy York said...

That's good to know!! The doc did say that they get about 3 kids a day with RSV during this time of year, so I guess it's pretty common. Apparently my Mom had it too. Hey -- so far, it's much better than the DOZENS of ear infections Ryan got at this age!!