Monday, June 12, 2006

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me.

Except, please do. Bother me, I mean. Everyday. Multiple times.

huh?

A friend of mine told me about this website that is supposed to be a godsend for women everywhere who feel like they are being swallowed alive by their homes and the messes within.

Normally I laugh at people like this. I look down on them, asserting my feminist side, assuring myself that I don't need to have a super-clean house in order to feel, be, or give love. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone (except for my oldest friends, who for some reason illicit cleaning frenzies in me that are undescribable -- yes, that's YOU Shah & Chaika), nor do I have any desire to try to be Martha Stewart. Ever.

So why I am spending all this time rambling in honor of this housekeeping homepage? Because my house is beyond messy. It has a life of its own, and is not-so-slowly sucking my brains out. I get bummed every morning when I come down the stairs to a messy kitchen. I get pissed when the kids (you know, the 4 and 1 yr old), spill shit on the floor. I can't concentrate, and all I want to do is sit. All day. Every day. Gilbert Grape's mother would have nothing on me if I could have my way.

Along from the fact that I do not want to be this kind of Mommy, I do not want my daughter to grow up to be this kind of woman, and I certainly wouldn't approve if my son chose the same sort as his wife. So in an effort to kill 2 birds, I'm tying the stone to my feet and jumping in head-first.

The site is flylady, one I'm sure many of you have seen or heard of before (and if it didn't work for you, please don't tell me). I love a new challenge, especially at the beginning, so I'm on a roll for now. Allow me to gather my rosebuds. My sink is shining, my shoes are on, and I'm getting along with Shawn.

So far, I give this FLY thing 4-stars.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out and making me sound so orderly and clean, but if you could see my place right now you'd only say that Chaika illicits a cleaning frenzy! I haven't vacuumed or mopped since you were here a MONTH ago (how gross am I?), I have a suitcase that remains open and ready for unpacking in my room that's been there over a week (but since I'm using it again in 2 days what is really the point of unpacking it?), and I have trash that's been waiting to be taken to the dumpster for 5 days! Love ya!

Amy York said...

See? This is why I love you!!! Whaddya say we wait till Chaika pops that kid out, then we gang up on her? No WAY is she gonna be able to retain her normal MARTHA standards -- at least not in the beginning, anyway! Boy...this doesn't make me sound like a very good friend, does it?

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! You crack me up (but it will be super funny to see Chaika's house with just a little mess on the kitchen counter or something once the baby comes)!