Saturday, April 29, 2006

Jaxson Thomas, member since 2005

Okay, kiddo. So you're one year old now and I am dying over how quickly the year went. Filled with visits to the ER, an insatiable appetite and an unwillingness to sleep, you have made the past year one to go down in the record books.

I love how hard it is to envision life before you. I have memories that I cherish of a happy family of 3, but now that you are here we feel complete in a way we hadn't before. aawwww. That's something you are gonna have to come to terms with -- Moms is a nerd, buddy, but a funny one, so life shouldn't be all that bad for you. heh.

You are so aware of your body: your feet, your hands...your privates. It's cool, though. Your two favorite things in the world right now are balls and music. You throw balls around like you were born knowing exactly what to do with them (an answer to your Daddy's prayers), and your whole body comes to life when your hear music. Any music. I guess that part is me, or maybe it's Ryan, she loves to move too.

Speaking of Ryan, I promise you, there is no other little girl in the world who is going to love you like your sister does. Sure, she pokes and prods, tosses you around and sits on you till you scream, but damn, baby, there is nothing that kid wouldn't do for you. I've never had to ask her more than once to share her food with you -- this, my friend, is huge. She has no desire to bathe alone anymore, and rather than beg to watch tv with me and Dad before bed, she now begs to play with you. I never had a brother (hang on, does Aunt Lea Lea count?), but I know what it's like to share a history with a sibling, and it's the greatest thing in the world. I am so excitede to see each day unfold between the two of you, and although this may not always be the case, you both light up at the sight of one another, and that does my heart somethin' good.

You are ever-so-mischievious, something that tickles me now, but it's only 8:30 am -- check back with me after lunch. You must know how sweet you are, because the moment you hear the word "No", you cock your head, drop your eyes and smile. You suck when you do that. You know full well when you're breaking the rules, as well, my man. You love to cut looks at me as you toddle over to random wall sockets, forbidden doors, the stairs... You have an adventurous spirit, little man, and that is definitely a good thing.

I never understood the bond between mothers and sons -- I've always been fully aware of the Girl's Club, and your sister and I are definitely members -- but this whole Mom/Son dynamic is hitting me completely out of the blue. I'm guessing it has something to do with getting my hands on you while you are sweet and innocent, two traits that most likely will not hang around for too long, especially when the evil minions of hell (aka: GIRLS) come along. You love me so much, it kills. You reach for me and I think, "Okay, now I get it." Although at times the neediness gets to be a bit much for this impatient mommy, I know that it won't last for long, so I'm trying to cherish each needy moment.

Like this morning, you woke up bright and early after a long night of up and downs, and hoping to squeeze one more hour of sleep out of you, I carried you to the twin bed in your room and we snuggled. I didn't get one more minute of sleep, but when you held my hand and patted my face, all was forgiven.

So, Happy Birthday buddy. I know this is a little late, but...you'll get used to that, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You feelin okay?...A tad sappy don't you think? Did mom write this!

Amy York said...

*SIGH* It's a MOM thing...you wouldn't understand.