Friday, September 30, 2005

Monsters Monsters Everywhere

I am at once tickled and amazed at how brave my daughter can be. This is obviously a trait she has received from her father, he being THE BRAVE ONE. When I went to her last night as she was having a night terror, she sat up and asked, "Mommy, tell me again how to make the shadows go away?"

This just about broke me right here. When she was little (insert joke here), we used to tell her that whenever she was afraid of the dark, all she had to do was look at every item in her room and think of how it looked in the daytime. "The light makes the shadows go away," we said, "so just pretend the light is on, and you'll remember that there is nothing in here to be afraid of -- it's just pics of you and the fam, and all your favorite toys."

For some glorious, unknown reason, she totally bought this desperate attempt at doling out Hallmark-esque advice. But what's even more amazing is that there she was: holding her head up, sticking out her chest, trying with all her little princess might to be brave On Her Own. She didn't have to be talked down at all - she just went straight to that place.

Of course, a few hours later she was in our bed (on top of me) when I had to leave the room to feed Jax. It was only 4 am, so it was still officially "scary night-time", and Shawn had already left for work, taking his Big Brave Daddy Powers with him. Again, my heart broke when I confronted her with the frightening knowledge that she would be ALONE, and she squeaked, "Okay Mommy". Apparently, I shouldn't have been that concerned. When I came back upstairs about 30 min later, she was still awake, waiting for me. "I wasn't scared, Mommy. I just talked to the witch and the monster and the spider and they were nice to me." Whatever works, man.

JAXSON KEEPS GROWING!!!! Shawn and I are blown away by how much Jax grows every day. Of course, we shouldn't be surprised, what with the gallons of formula he chugs down on a daily basis, but still, the kid is freakin' huge! Also, we're not quite sure he is as "accomodating" as we had originally thought. I'm not gonna lie to you - the kid has become the most high-maintenance little punk you've ever seen. And the lungs on that boy -- he totally reminds me of Yosimite Sam when he gets all "fired up". That, in essence, is Jaxson.

BTW, Shawn seems convinced that Jax is in the clear on that whole un-descended testicle thing; I, however, know better. He ain't any closer to having two regular danglers than I am. From what I understand, they're not necessarily "irregular", (I GUESS looks can be deceiving...), but rather, one of them has an abundance of fluid surrounding it, and if the fluid doesn't decrease by the time he is 9 months old, then he has to have a hernia-like surgery. Or Something. Anyway, he is totally NOT out of the clear -- he's still got one high and one low, but we've got our fingers crossed. He'll need therapy after reading this when he gets older, but don't we all??

Bless his heart -- he does love his sister and his Daddy. He lights up each and every time he lays eyes on Ryan -- every single time, I swear. It's like she's Santa Claus or something. And Shawn totally has him trained -- anytime Shawn comes near him, Jax starts growling; he is sooooo trying to show off for his Father!!! Not that he's the only one; Miss Thang will "Vogue" like nobody's business just to get him to laugh, and then she'll run up and fart in his face, sending all of us into giggles. It's the BEST medicine.

No comments: