Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Touche`

Ryan had a tantrum today, which she graciously conducted after her friends left, alone in her room -- mostly because I made her, but partly because it's easier to flail around in her own room when there's less people around, natch.

Afterward, she and I were laying down for our nap and started talking about tantrums, being angry, controlling our temper, and all that good stuff. I felt such warmth and pride as a result of letting her wrestle her 4 yr old demons on her own, and then being able to listen to her justify/explain her actions -- warmth because of the obviously amazing mother I'm becoming, and pride at my little girl's ability to recognize and assess the emotional cause-and-effects we all face day to day, bringing her one step closer to controlling her emotions, creating a happier, more stable person.

Until we woke up from our nap, she asked for juice and I counter-offered with the ever-dreaded water. "Mom, you better get me some juice -- you don't want me to throw another fit, do you?" (head cocked, eyes peering expectedly)

Ahhh, yes. The condescending ultimatum tantrum. Very Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan. And isn't she just the kind of happy stable person we all wish we were??

No comments: