Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fun With Books

Tonight was Family Reading Night at Ryan's school. Tonight is also one of Shawn's "Late Days" at work, which meant one mommy, two kids. I was timid, as is to be expected anytime I take Jax out in public, but Ryan wanted so badly to go, that no battle I could wage would get her to quit begging/crying/whining about it. Trust me, I tried. Not that I had to go looking for a battle, mind you, what with all the attitude being thrown around the house these days. Oh yeah, the girl's got 'tude, and I'm a hair's width away from showing her where she can put it.

But I digress.

Amidst screeches and threats, room banishments and promises of "I mean it this time..." we got dinner, pj's and stuffed animals and were out the door with time to spare.

Arriving at the school early, we were led to one of several "reading rooms" where we told to wait for our reader person, who would be there shortly to read for 20 minutes or so before we would be shepherded to the cafeteria for the main presentation. Slowly, families filed in, and it was with relief that I not only saw a few toddler-aged kids, but also several single parents, so I figured even if he did go full out Jax, at least their would be some sympathetic folks in the audience. Thank God I was right.

I'm not even going to go into all the dirty details of how he wouldn't sit still, wouldn't stop talking, wouldn't stop "shhhushhhing" other kids (who weren't, in fact, actually talking), wouldn't stop walking right up to the reader person to peer over the book at the pictures... No, what I would like to touch upon was how hilarious he was every time the reader person would exclaim a phrase, such as "Boom!" or "Squish!" or "No no no!" Each and every time Jax would stand up, do that funky little twisted-body dance thing he does and repeat the phrase, only louder, and with a binky hanging out the side of his mouth like so many old men's cigars.

The first time he did it, I was still slightly reeling from our horrendous dinner episode (did I mention Ryan's gigantic attitude?), and did the best I could to pierce his little bubble with my "Mommy is so gonna kick your ass when we get home look" (what, am I the only one?) only to be thwarted by peals of laughter from all the parents, kids and even the reader-man.

From then on, every time he pulled a move, I glared, held my breath, and was inevitably met with more laughter. As most of you know, this is not something I'm particularly fond of, seeing as how it makes my job that much harder, but given the night we'd had and the fact that I really am trying to be nicer (Really, I swear. Really. I promise. Shut up.) I just decided to breathe, unclench and let my kiddo have the most non-destructive fun he's had in a long time.

And it was good. It was very good.

No comments: