Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Playing Catch-Up

Whew! Week 1 down, and by the grace of God, Ryan came out smiling.

I say "by the grace of God", because here's how her week looked on paper:

Monday: 1st day of school, got in trouble for talking.
Tuesday: Had an accident in the bathroom and had to change clothes.
Wednesday: Some little girls made fun of her name ("Ryan? That's a boy's name!") when she tried to make friends with them.
Thursday: Mommy forgot to pack a snack, so she had nothing to eat at snack time.
Friday:Got in trouble for talking again, had her behavior chart moved to "YELLOW".

Now. Had this been my first week of school, I would have curled into a ball and declared the year over quicker than it began. But not Ry. The accident in the bathroom? No big deal. "All the kids were nappping, Mom, so I just had my friend tell my teacher and she brought me my clothes. No big deal." The teasing? " I just walked away and played with Chloe." No snack? Well, she was pretty pissed about that, and I can't say I blame her -- they eat lunch at 10:40, and don't get out of school until 2:30.

Of course, this morning she soo di dnot want to go to school, mostly because I woke up with her in my bed at 7:15, when we needed to leave the house at 7:30. So things were a little rushed, but Mama's on an organization craze, so it all went smoothly and after I promised her I'd have lunch with her today, she cheered right up.

Speaking of which, I've got to finish baking cookies for the office ladies before it's time to leave.

(#1 Rule I learned as a teacher: KISS the Office Ladies' Butts. They RUN the school.)

I'm off to pucker up!!

No comments: